[Mac OS X TeX] TeXShop and tex/gs (again)

Michael Murray mmurray at maths.adelaide.edu.au
Mon Sep 24 12:10:46 CEST 2001

<x-flowed>>Hi,

>(just a small comment as an addition to the not-so-recent thread on
>tex-ghostscript typesetting not working in TeXShop:)
>
>I have noticed that if I start TeXShop by clicking (i.e. Finder or
>Dock), tex-ghostscript typesetting does not work for me (nothing
>happens at all). If I, however, start TeXShop from the terminal,
>e.g. by typing "open file.tex", tex-ghostscript works just fine.
>This seems to support the theory about .cshrc-strangeness. It may
>also be a less awkward "solution" to the problem than editing the
>.cshrc file (until this bug is fixed...).
>
>/ Kristofer Johannisson
>
>>Folks,
>>
>>>Marc Parizeau wrote: "My .cshrc contained only
>>>
>>>	setenv PATH "${PATH}:/usr/X11R6/bin"
>>>
>>>And indeed, after I removed it, TeXShop started to work ok in
>>>TeX/GS mode. This is really a strange bug, I just can't imagine why
>>>these commands have any impact on the behavior of TeXShop?!
>>>Does this imply that TeXshop reads the .cshrc file and tries to
>>>interpret it???
>>>... Obviously, the authors of TeXShop should look into this mystery
>>>for
>>>future release..."
>>>
>>>I agree. I'll be gone for a week, but then I'll look
>>>into the mystery. TeXShop doesn't look at the .cshrc, so I'm as
>>>puzzled as everyone else!!
>>

>>very simple answer:
>>
>>texshop does not look straight into the .cshrc file but it launches
>>scripts (from tetex) that do look iinto the .cshrc file. So it reads the
>>
>>.cshrc indirectly.

I had similar problems with a manpath command in my .cshrc. I `solved' them
by putting the offending command in the .login file.

Michael
Assoc/Prof Michael Murray
Department of Pure Mathematics       Fax: 61+ 8 8303
3696
University of Adelaide             Phone: 61+ 8 8303 4174
Australia  5005      Email: mmurray at maths.adelaide.edu.au
Home Page: http://www.maths.adelaide.edu.au/pure/mmurray
PGP public key:
http://www.maths.adelaide.edu.au/pure/mmurray/pgp.txt