[Mac OS X TeX] Graphics package and pdfTeX

Enrico Franconi franconi at cs.man.ac.uk
Thu Sep 20 01:05:39 CEST 2001

On September 19, Bruno Voisin writes:
> This is more a question about pdfTeX than TeXShop itself. Here it
> is:
>
> Is the LaTeX graphics package (as opposed to graphicx) notoriously
> incompatible with pdfTeX? Is there a workaround?

Is there ANY reason why one should use pdftex -- which has all the
limitation of not working with most of the *standard* graphics
packages of LaTeX2e -- as opposed to piping "dvips -Ppdf" with the pdf
conversion of ghostscript? The latter works with *any* standard
LaTeX2e file, and you can preview it with Acrobat Reader (or with
TeXShop). Actually, TeXShop provides the dvips/gs modality. Why would
you need a workaround for a standard built-in package of LaTeX2e like
graphics?
cheers
-- e.

Enrico Franconi                     - franconi at cs.man.ac.uk
University of Manchester            - http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~franconi/
Department of Computer Science      - Phone: +44 (161) 275 6170
Manchester M13 9PL, UK              - Fax:   +44 (161) 275 6204

"help" (no quotes) in the body.
messages posted by third parties.