[Mac OS X TeX] OS X a nightmare?

John Vokey vokey at uleth.ca
Fri Sep 7 02:55:16 CEST 2001

on 9/6/01 6:00 PM, David Wagner wrote:

> I suggest that for off topic posts such as this one, we direct our replies
> directly to the original poster, rather than to the list. I have already
> done so myself, and I believe that this post has had enough answers.  My
> email is busy enough as it is.
>
> David Wagner

I disagree.  First, David can reduce the email clutter by switching to
digest mode.  Second, these observations *are* important.  I've been using
Apple computers since the original Apple ][, and OS X *is* unintuitive,
slow, cluttered (in terms of the number of files associated with just about
anything), ugly, 'nix-like to a large fault, and, to put it bluntly, a royal
pain...  To this point, all I can say is that it is not yet "ready for prime
time".  BUT: It will be, possibly as early as the next relase (although I
doubt it), and more likely with 11.x, by which point we will all have
switched.  Until then, though, it is precisely these observations that will
encourage the TeX on Mac OS X developers to ensure that, despite the current
problems, those that do make the transition will find their TeX experiences,
at least, to be an *improvement* over previous Mac OSs.  Otherwise, we
should all just admit defeat, install LinuxPPC, and be done with it.

John R. Vokey

"help" (no quotes) in the body.
messages posted by third parties.