[Mac OS X TeX] \magnification error problem

Gerben Wierda sherlock at rna.nl
Mon Oct 15 14:24:21 CEST 2001

<x-flowed>I though we had taken this off list.

For the curious, the reason my pdftex gave different results from normal
tex was in the pdftex.cfg file. The next dmg will have an updated cfg
file.

Normally, people will not encounter any problems, as

>>> \nopagenumbers
>>> \hoffset -2cm
>>> \voffset -2cm
>>> \vsize = 5cm
>>> \hsize = 8cm
>>>  \magnification=4000
>>> $$\sum_{N=1}^\infty {1 \over N^2 +1 } $$
>>>  \bye

is a bit weird (see the \magnification definition in page 364 of the TeX
book) as \maginification resets hsize and vsize and in the case above
will scale hoffset and voffset (as Thomas pointed out to me).

So, I suspect that some weird pdf is the result, where you have
boundaries and locations disagreeing all over the place.

\nopagenumbers
  \magnification=4000
$$\sum_{N=1}^\infty {1 \over N^2 +1 } $$
  \bye

works fine here.

Gerben

"help" (no quotes) in the body.