[Mac OS X TeX] problem with new teTeX

Gary L. Gray gray at lpcm.esm.psu.edu
Sat Oct 27 21:30:37 CEST 2001

<x-flowed>On 10/26/2001 at 11:24 PM +0200, Gerben Wierda wrote:

>An updated teTeX.dmg can be found on:
>
>	ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/comp/macosx/tex-gs/teTeX.dmg

Gerben (and anyone else who might help),

I have installed he new teTeX and have run into a strange, but
serious, problem.

I have been typesetting using pdftex ever since I first installed
TeXShop + pdftex. In doing so, when including figures I have been
using the graphicx package and PDF figures. When saving PDF files out
of Illustrator, the image is saved on a full page so I have to open
the figure in a text editor (BBEdit) to determine the bounding box.
After doing this, I have been including the figures using a commands
like:

\usepackage[pdftex]{graphicx}
\DeclareGraphicsExtensions{.pdf}

\includegraphics[viewport=147 318 388 396]{figurename}

where the numbers 136 326 478 618 are extracted from the the PDF file
>from the line:

%%BoundingBox: 147 318 388 396

[Aside: I initially tried using bb=136 326 478 618 as the option to
\includegraphics, but LaTeX substituted viewport, so I just started
using viewport. This is also odd.]

The problem is this: the dozens documents of files that used to work
perfectly when I used the above procedure no longer work since
installing the new teTeX. It looks like the figures are being
included, but I am seeing, at best, only a small part of the image
itself. Usually, I see nothing. It is as if LaTeX is ignoring the
viewport setting I am giving it.

Is anyone else seeing this behavior with the new teTeX? What can I do
to fix this new problem? Help!!! :-(

Best regards,

--
    Gary L. Gray