[Mac OS X TeX] small dots disappear in Quartz

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Mon Oct 29 23:54:40 CET 2001

Hi Troy,

> Now, each dot, as an individual becomes invisible at a small scale,
> but a large number of dots clustered together are quite visible at
> almost all scales.
>
> I think this is a bug.  A big blue blob should scale.  Reduce the
> scale and you should get a small blue blob; it should not disappear.

Interesting problem.
If each dot is considered separately, then the renderer is doing the
right thing. It is only when taken together that there is a problem.

So each dot needs to affect its surrounding pixels, not just
those which it occupies. Isn't that what anti-aliasing is all about?

Are the dots clean squares of pixels, or are they anti-aliased?
If the former, then try using Ghostscript to render the image,
with anti-aliasing on for graphics primitives (not just for fonts)
 --- there is a setting   GRAPH_ALPHA_BITS ,  I think.
When you've got that working, use Ghostscript to write the image as
PDF (e.g. with a modification to the epstopdf Perl script) and try
viewing this in Acrobat.

Best of luck.

	Ross

> <http://bugreport.apple.com> isn't working right now, but I plan on
> submitting this one.  At the same time, I thought the list might be
> interested.
>
> Troy.

> "help" (no quotes) in the body.
> This list is not moderated, and I am not responsible for
> messages posted by third parties.
"help" (no quotes) in the body.
messages posted by third parties.