[Mac OS X TeX] OffTopic - Telnet / remote login in X.1

Nicholas Riley njriley at uiuc.edu
Thu Oct 4 23:27:44 CEST 2001

On Thu, Oct 04, 2001 at 05:23:54PM -0400, Hemant K. Bhargava wrote:

> 1. I was getting set up to install TeXShop - right after I had upgraded to
> OSX.1. However, now I can no longer telnet into my Mac from a remote
> machine -- I keep getting a "connection refused" message. I have verified,
> of course, that I have the correct privileges set up to allow remote login.
>
> I wonder if others experienced this problem on upgrading to X.1

You must have never upgraded from 10.0 to 10.0.1 or later, or else
manually enabled telnet by editing /etc/inetd.conf.  Telnet was just
in 10.0 as a temporary measure; before (Public Beta) and since, the
remote login option turns on the SSH server.

> 2. As an aside, I've also found that I can't do a "wget" to download files
> (and that this doesn't exist under /usr/bin) whereas it worked perfectly
> well under X.0 .. so I can tell that certain things have changed.

Try curl -O instead of wget - which was replaced because of licensing
issues.

--
=Nicholas Riley <njriley at uiuc.edu> | <http://www.uiuc.edu/ph/www/njriley>
        Pablo Research Group, Department of Computer Science and

"help" (no quotes) in the body.
messages posted by third parties.