[Mac OS X TeX] Strange TeXShop image behavior (?)

Neal Parikh npparikh at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 22 06:01:57 CEST 2001

<x-flowed>I use OmniGraffle (http://www.omnigroup.com) to create diagrams for use
in my LaTeX documents, and I've noticed some very odd behavior in
TeXShop when I try to get them embedded.

First of all, if I export the image to PDF, using:

\includegraphics{figure1}

won't work if figure1.pdf is in the same folder for some reason.  I
imagine this is because it requires that the EPS file also be there, but
I'm not sure.  As a result, I have to export the diagram to TIFF, then
use ImageMagick to convert to EPS, and then use epstopdf to make my
PDF.  *Then* \includegraphics{} works.

However, when I print out the document, the image is really fuzzy.  The
image is *not* fuzzy when I print from OmniGraffle, and the image is
*not* fuzzy when I print the exported TIFF or PDF file.  If I import the
PDF image into Microsoft Word X, for example, it prints out fine.  In
TeXShop, it becomes fuzzy, and it seems to become even fuzzier when I
center it using the following code:

\begin{centering}
\includegraphics{figure1}
\end{centering}