[Mac OS X TeX] pdf causes 10.1 to crash

Michel Bovani michel.bovani at wanadoo.fr
Fri Nov 2 13:23:03 CET 2001

<x-flowed iso-8859-1>Le 1/11/01 à 18:04 -0800 V. Vatsal wrote :
>Hi,
>
>I created a pdf file using tex+gs6+ps2pdf, which causes the OS to
>crash. Attempting to open the pdf in either TeXShop or Preview
>causes an immediate logout, and the machine hangs when i try to log
>back in. The only way to get back in that I can find is to restart
>the machine after the logout happens.
>
>On the other hand, opening the file in Acrobat seems to cause no problems.
>
>I had the strange experience of trying to attach the file to an
>email message causing the same kind of crash as well.
>

>Is this one of the Quartz bugs that has been making the rounds on
>this list? To whom at Apple is one supposed to report this kind of
>thing? The file can be found at
>http://www.math.ubc.ca/~vatsal/files/test.pdf

I download the file and my OSX crashes (thanks! :-)

I try to rebuild the file with my CMacTeX installation (it is not
standard because I use a TeXlive6 tree):

Source file:
\documentclass[a4paper]{article}
\usepackage{mathpazo}
\begin{document}
     test $\Sigma_{n}(f)$
     \end{document}

with pdflatex: the pdf file display very well in acroread5 and in preview.
    fonts that appears in font info (acroread) are
-URWPalladioL-Roma
-Pazomath
-URWPalladioL-Ital
-CMR10

with tex+dvips+ps2pdf (gs7.0) and a special config wich substitute
URW palladio at dvips step (like in texshop, I think): the pdffile
display very well in acroread5 but *not* in preview (the word "test"
and the last parenright did not appear). MacOSX doen not crash.
fonts are :
-URWPalladioL-Roma
-Pazomath
-URWPalladioL-Ital
-CMR10
-URWPalladioL-Ital~15

In your test file I find
-URWPalladioL-Roma
-Pazomath
-URWPalladioL-Ital
-CMR10
-URWPalladioL-Ital~14

Seems to be a gs-font problem (of course if OSX crashes, it is a bug
in Quartz, anyway).

--
Michel Bovani

"help" (no quotes) in the body.