[Mac OS X TeX] Problems with new tetex (?), and more

Holger Frauenrath mail at frauenrath.com
Tue Nov 27 00:02:11 CET 2001

Hi,

first of all let me make one general comment that I have been wanting to
make since I have subscribed to this list. When I switched to Mac OS X, I
also started using TeXshop/tetex. And I must say, it is great. Thanks to
all the people spending their time into the development!

And now for the problem: Since I have installed the new tetex distribution
(2001-11-25) today, I somehow cannot use "TeX+Ghostscript" anymore. I am
actually not really sure that there is any relation. However, it worked
until yesterday, and today, after installing the new distribution it does
not. "PDFLaTeX" works fine, but I have some large, old projects with a lot
of EPS figures in them for which I need to use (at least that is what I
figured) "TeX+Ghostscript". The PS looks fine, but no PDF is created. Here
is the console output:

> Output written on Extension.dvi (12 pages, 28292 bytes).
> Transcript written on Extension.log.
> ### /usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current/dvips -R -u
> +psfonts.map -u +pdftex.map -u +wolfram.map  -o
> /tmp/altpdflatex.1257/Extension.ps Extension.dvi
> ### Saving intermediary ps file /tmp/altpdflatex.1257/Extension.ps as
> Extension.ps
> ### ps2pdf /tmp/altpdflatex.1257/Extension.ps Extension.pdf
> ### FAILED to generate Extension.pdf (1)

Leaving away all figures gives the same result. Can anyone figure out what
is going wrong (or what I am doing wrong :-)?

And then, I have one item for the TeXshop wish list: I am not sure whether
this has been covered in previous Emails: Is it possible to implement a
GUI for setting some search paths (for local style files, bibtex inputs,
bibtex styles etc.) in a future version of TeXShop? I do not feel
comfortable changing (messing up :-) environment varibales, and neither do
I like to bury things in ~/Library/texmf/yadda/yadda.

Thanks.
Holger

--
Dr. Holger Frauenrath
Department of Materials and Life Sciences

Phone: (847) 491-5950
Fax: (847) 491-3010
Email: mail at frauenrath.com

"help" (no quotes) in the body.