[Mac OS X TeX] pdf causes 10.1 to crash

Georges Vael gvael at innas.com
Fri Nov 2 09:45:00 CET 2001

<x-flowed>This is the behaviour I experienced when viewing pdf's created along the
Matlab eps --> epstopdf route, in TeXShop or Preview.

I did not detail the crash-behaviour in my 31-10-2001 e-mail to this
list, but it is almost exactly the same as what you describe:
- Preview and TeXShop crash when arriving at a page where a suspect pdf
has been put
- There is always a subsequent system crash, which is not always
immediate however, sometimes it is delayed untill I try to start another
application, much in the way Michael described in repons to your e-mail
- Login after this crash hangs, a hard restart from there is necessary.

So, indeed, probably yet another appearance of this Quartz bug. I wonder
though, why Acrobat displays the suspect pdf's without problems and why
TeXShop and Preview do not stumble over Matlab eps --> Distiller
produced pdf's. What is the difference between these pdf's?

Georges Vael
Innas BV
Nikkelstraat 15
4823 AE  Breda
The Netherlands
+31.76.5424080
gvael at innas.com

On vrijdag, november 2, 2001, at 03:04 , V. Vatsal wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I created a pdf file using tex+gs6+ps2pdf, which causes the OS to
> crash. Attempting to open the pdf in either TeXShop or Preview causes
> an immediate logout, and the machine hangs when i try to log back in.
> The only way to get back in that I can find is to restart the machine
> after the logout happens.
>
> On the other hand, opening the file in Acrobat seems to cause no
> problems.
>
> I had the strange experience of trying to attach the file to an email
> message causing the same kind of crash as well.
>

> Is this one of the Quartz bugs that has been making the rounds on this
> list? To whom at Apple is one supposed to report this kind of thing?
> The file can be found at http://www.math.ubc.ca/~vatsal/files/test.pdf
>
> -- Nike V.
>

> -------
> V. Vatsal
> Department of Mathematics
> University of British Columbia
> Vancouver V6T 1Z2
> Canada

> "help" (no quotes) in the body.
> This list is not moderated, and I am not responsible for
> messages posted by third parties.
"help" (no quotes) in the body.
messages posted by third parties.