[Mac OS X TeX] Re: TeXShop External Editors

Jon Guyer jguyer at his.com
Wed Nov 14 21:04:12 CET 2001

<x-flowed>At 1:34 PM -0500 11/14/01, William Adams wrote:
>The Finder is still a Carbon app, right?

The Finder is a badly written app. I'm not sure that means it's Carbon.

>It supports Services, no? Since v10.1 at least.... (That's what's used
>to have Grab.app provide screengrabs for <Command>3/4, no?)

At least in 5G48 (I /really/ need to find time to update to 10.1
final), the Services items for things like Grab, Mail, etc. are all
dimmed in the Finder, so no, I don't think Services are at work here
(unless through some nasty hack).

>As I understand it, it's ``just'' a matter of the Carbon app being
>re-written to support them (though if Apple plugged that support in at
>the system level where Contextual Menu Items go it'd be a moot point :(

I'd certainly happy to learn otherwise, but all indications I've
gotten are that Carbon doesn't get Services. We're certainly having
to rewrite enough other code to support X (and just to make things
work better) that I don't have a problem making changes to Alpha for
Services, but I don't plan to waste any time at it until I see some
definitive indications that Apple supports it.

--

   Jonathan E. Guyer
   <http://www.his.com/jguyer/>

"help" (no quotes) in the body.