[Mac OS X TeX] !Dimensions too large ??

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Thu Nov 22 22:04:36 CET 2001

> hi all,
>
> i keep getting strange error messages in pdflatex that i cannot reolve:
>
> Warning: /usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current/pdflatex:
> arithmetic
> : number too big
> ! Dimension too large.
> <argument> \wd \@tempboxa
>
> l.804 .../detections/rowley/19990923114842000.jpg}
>

> where the latex-source is a simple
> \includegraphics[width=4cm]{Figures/detections/rowley/19990923114842000.jpg}

It's rather dangerous to use filenames that start with numbers.
The possibility is small, but non-existent, that the name will
follow directly after another number, and macro expansion might
be such as to make the two concatenate into a single number.

So try renaming the image file, and try again.

If that solves the problem in this case, then it gives an indication
of where some internal coding is a bit sloppy.
It also gives you an effective work-around.

> inside a {tabular} environment...
>
> any ideas?
>
> (the same source compiles on a linux box without problems)

Interesting.
Is it pdfTeX under Linux ?
Yes, I suppose it must be, to be working with a .jpg image.
Is it the same version of pdfTeX ?

Hope this helps,

	Ross Moore

> --
> martin.

> "help" (no quotes) in the body.
> This list is not moderated, and I am not responsible for
> messages posted by third parties.
"help" (no quotes) in the body.
messages posted by third parties.