[Mac OS X TeX] Some graphics questions

Hemant Bhargava hkb at mac.com
Thu Nov 29 21:26:22 CET 2001

Hi -

I have also had a need to maintain .eps files.

a)  As long as I was on Classic, I produced these using the printer
driver (going directly to EPS ... all recent  drivers, since OS 9 I
think, allow that)
Depending on the program, there are different ways to ensure that there
is no "white space" in your figure; the bounding box sizes are
calculated automatically.

Now that OSX doesn't allow it, I don't know what to do. I still do my
graphics on a machine that runs OS9.

b) Earlier I used programs such as Adobe Illustrator or Quark Xpress
that directly supported .eps format (however I went to (a) ever since it
was available)

Once I have the .eps file, I use the \includegraphics macro (now, but
I've also used \epsf successfully in the past). With the file produced
under (a), and using \includegraphics, all I have to do is to scale the
graphic by specifying its width of height. Works quite well.

I can produce .eps files under (a) even when I have NO printer hooked up.

Good luck.

- Hemant

On Thursday, November 29, 2001, at 02:34 PM, Charles Bouldin wrote:

> I am using both TeXShop and Tom Kiffe's BBEdit<>teTeX plugins and it
> all works  well. I have a couple of questions about graphics, however.
>
> Partly due to inertia, but mostly due to the need for compatibility
> with non-Mac collaborators, I prefer to stick with .ps and .eps based
> files and graphics whenever I can.
>
> My preferred method for producing .eps files is to use the MacOS X
> printer driver and a selected postscript printer to make a .ps file and
> then use ps2epsi to convert that to a .eps file. (Note, to use the unix
> tool ps2epsi, you have to first convert the file to unix lf line
> terminators via BBEdit or other tool). This seems to work well and
> produce files that work on my Mac and on other machines such as SGI.
> Questions:
>
> How are people on this list producing graphics that give a good preview
> and are portable across platforms?
>
> At home I don't -have- a postscript printer, and I haven't been able to
> fool the printer driver into making postscript for me. Anyone know a
> trick to produce postscript output when you don't have a postscript
> printer hooked up?

> "help" (no quotes) in the body.
> This list is not moderated, and I am not responsible for
> messages posted by third parties.
"help" (no quotes) in the body.
messages posted by third parties.