teTeX mod for Mac fonts (was Re: [Mac OS X TeX] Font question)

Michel Bovani michel.bovani at wanadoo.fr
Tue Nov 6 10:10:34 CET 2001

<x-flowed iso-8859-1>Le 5/11/01 à 13:09 -0500 William Adams a écrit :
>>  On Monday, November 5, 2001, at 03:36 , Troy Goodson wrote:
>>
>>  > Why not simply put support for Mac fonts into teTeX?  If all the
>>  > information is in the file, wouldn't it be better if teTeX itself knew
>>  > what to do with it?
>>

>Gerben then replied:
>
>>  I agree, this ia a better solution, also copyright-wise. If someone
>>  knowws how this can be done, I would be happy to make it part of my
>>  distribution.
>>

>I can merely point to instances where this sort of thing has been done
>in the past---notably Textures and TeX/GX.

Hmm... There are two ways of handling mac fonts :

1 - The tex driver uses mac fonts across the system mechanism
(generally requires ATM) and only across the system mechanism :
TeXtures, Macdvi (CMacTeX), OzTeX dvi-previewer, probably TeX/GX.

2 - The tex driver uses mac fonts or pfb fonts and these fonts may be
anywere (provided TeX can access to them) : pdftex, dvips, dvipdfm in
CMacTeX, dvips for OzTeX.

I think 2 is the good way. In first cases only mac fonts can be used
and bitmap suitcases are required (at least on OS9, but probably on
OSX too).
--
Michel Bovani

"help" (no quotes) in the body.