[Mac OS X TeX] Updated CMacTeX for OS X

Tom Kiffe tom at kiffe.com
Mon May 7 09:05:50 CEST 2001

I have completely revamped my CMacTeX distribution for OS X. The original beta
release was intended for users who already had my programs installed in Mac OS
8 or 9 and wanted Carbon versions of the programs for OS X. Anyone who had
installed TeXShop and teTeX on OS X faced a formidable task of trying to
install CMacTeX in OS 9 before even attempting to run it in OS X.

The new CMacTeX uses the texmf tree from teTeX, so the distribution of
CMacTeX for OS X is now only one archive file about 7 MB in size. All of
the TeX support files needed by CMacTeX are included in a local texmf
folder. The actual installation is quite simple.

CMacTeX is designed to work with BBEdit 6.1, Acrobat Reader 5.0,
and MacGhostView, a Postscript viewer for OS X which does not use the
X Window System. Macdvi is a dvi viewer which can be used with teTeX
for viewing dvi files. If a dvi file has been generated with the scrltx
package, an option-click in a paragraph in a displayed page generates
an Apple Event which is sent to BBEdit, asking it to open the appropriate
source at the designated paragraph. CMacTeX includes the latest releases of dvips (5.86d) and pdftex (0.14h), both of which handle partial font embedding much better than earlier releases.

To download this update, go to the OS X section of the CMacTeX Home Page
at http://www.kiffe.com/cmactex.html. The download page contains complete
installation instructions. Be sure to download the CMacTeX User's Guide as
well. The MacGhostView Home Page is http://www.kiffe.com/macghostview.html.

Tom Kiffe

"help" (no quotes) in the body.
messages posted by third parties.