[Mac OS X TeX] The texmf tree

Michael Goldweber mikeyg at cerebro.cs.xu.edu
Wed Jun 6 17:25:16 CEST 2001

<x-flowed>>Ross Moore's comments in digest 29 on setting up a local texmf tree were
>very useful. I set up a local texmf tree in my home directory,
>
>~/Library/texmf/tex/latex/misc/
>
>added my REVTeX style files and made the mods to the texmf.cnf files as
>Richard describes in his help file. I got the fonts working for the first time
>with the REVTeX package. Great!  Now, I tried to do the same thing
>with the BibTeX files. I put the apsrev.bst file in
>
>~/Library/texmf/tex/latex/bibtex/bst/

try
~/Library/texmf/bibtex/bst/

BibTeX is a separate package from TeX, while LaTeX is a subcomponent of TeX.

I would recommend that instead of putting the file in
~/Library/texmf/bibtex/bst/
you place it in a directory inside this location.  (Use the package
name the bst file derives from instead of placing everything in misc.)

>However, BibTeX did not see the bst file. BibTeX works fine if I
>have the apsrev.bst file
>in the working directory. Do I also have to tell BibTeX to search
>the local texmf tree
>or do I have the tree structure wrong ?

No, BibTeX does not need any special instructions if you follow the
recommended TDS.

>It would be great to have more info on the tree structure. The files
>I am working with are:

I suggest poking around on /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf to get a feel
for how the TDS is organized.

--

Michael Goldweber			Associate Professor of Computer Science
Xavier University			Dept. of Math and Computer Science

"help" (no quotes) in the body.
messages posted by third parties.