[Mac OS X TeX] Fonts in OS X

Norman Gray norman+lists at astro.gla.ac.uk
Fri Jun 15 12:40:46 CEST 2001

Greetings,

On Thu, 14 Jun 2001, Zachary Davis wrote:

> MacOS X has quite a number of fonts, and I would expect that somehow I
> would be able to use the installed fonts in /Library/Fonts.  However, I
> have looked in numerous sources, and have been unable to find the
> necessary font codes--the ones used to distinguish the font and load it
> into TeX.  I am interested in experimenting with the fonts for my

Ah, hours of fun.  I have the impression that this is wonderfully easy
once you understand it, but getting to that mystical point takes
effort.

I can't offer much specific advice, but places to start include

http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?question=83
    `Choice of scalable outline fonts' in the UK TeX FAQ, and
    references therein.
http://www.tex.ac.uk/tex-archive/info/TrueType/
    `Using TrueType fonts with teTEX and dvips', along with other Good
    Things in /tex-archive/info
LaTeX2e Font Selection
    This is the file fntguide.tex which should be somewhere in your
    LaTeX distribution (but is also at
    ftp://ftp.tex.ac.uk/tex-archive/macros/latex/base/fntguide.tex if
    you have difficulty finding it).  There's an HTML version of it
    at http://tex.loria.fr/general/new/fntguide.html

In the second and third case, replace www.tex.ac.uk with www.ctan.org
for the location of the US CTAN host.

Good luck,