[Mac OS X TeX] CMacTeX 4.0

Gary L. Gray gray at engr.psu.edu
Fri Jun 1 05:18:34 CEST 2001

<x-flowed>On 5/31/2001 at 9:52 PM -0500, Tom Kiffe wrote:

>1) The full installation of CMacTeX gives you a basic TeX installation
>that works in both OS 9 and OS X. The installation can be done in either
>OS 9 or OS X, the only difference being the location of your Preferences
>folder. The installation process has been greatly simplified.

Let me begin by saying that this is fantastic! Now for some questions
... see below.

>2) If you already have teTeX installed on OS X you can download just one
>file which contains all of the Carbon binaries and the support files
>specific to CMacTeX. The teTeX texmf tree can be used with CMacTeX.
>Version 4.0 fully supports alias folders so you can put CMacTeX on any
>partition. (With the previous beta release CMacTeX had to be installed
>on the root partition.)

If we installed teTeX obtained from the TeXShop web page, should we
install the distribution (the archive texmflib.sit.bin???) found on
your page (since it is probably a newer distribution)? If so, will
the installer simply overwrite the TeXShop distribution or do we need
to go through additional UNIX contortions?

>5) Currently CMacTeX contains the only native dvi previewer for OS X which
>does not require the installation of the X Window System. If a dvi file
>has been prepared with the srcltx package, a click in a displayed page
>will take you back to the editor and the editor will highlight the first
>line of the selected paragraph. This feature currently works only with
>BBEdit and Alpha because only these editors have the needed Apple Event
>support.

I assume that dvi files created with CMacTeX are of this type?

>6) Macintosh Postscript fonts can be used with CMacTeX's dvips and pdftex.
>You do not have to convert your Lucida or MathTime Postscript fonts into
>pfb format.

Are there instructions for how to do this in your documentation? In
addition, does pdftex do 100% embedding of fonts in pdf documents?
This seems to be very important for other people to be able to read
my/your/anyone's pdf documents with everything showing up properly.

Thank you,
--
    Gary L. Gray
    Associate Professor