[Mac OS X TeX] what library do you prefer ?

laurens jerome.laurens at u-bourgogne.fr
Tue Jun 5 09:43:33 CEST 2001

the problem of personal tex files location came a few days ago, the
question was:  where should one install its own packages and other tex
stuff? At this time the answer was to install all these supplementary files
at the right location in the texmf tree. It is not satisfying.
I think that the right answer is partially: inside the /Library folder...
but where exactly?

My opinion is that /library and ~/Library should contain the same
hierarchy. In the first location an administrator will place files
available to all the users, in the second one, each user will place files
of its own. I suggest the following hierarchy as a basis for a discussion
and I am waiting for your suggestions.

(~)/Library/TeXMF Support/TeX
                         /TeX/Shell Scripts
                         /TeX/TeX Input
                         /TeX/TeX Input/TeX (input .tex files)
                         /TeX/TeX Input/LaTeX (packages in folders...)
                         /TeX/TeX Input/?
                         /TeX/TeX Format (for further use)
                         /TeX/TeX Fonts (linked to (~)/Library/Fonts ??? :(
                         /Metafont
                         /?

the way those files are accessed is another problem that should be resolved
by appropriate shell scripts.

        LAURENS Jerome
Analyse Appliquee & Optimisation      tel : (+33) (0)3 80 39 58 76
    9 Avenue Alain Savary             fax : (+33) (0)3 80 39 58 90
            BP 47870               courriel : laurens at u-bourgogne.fr
     F-21078 DIJON Cedex

"help" (no quotes) in the body.
messages posted by third parties.