[Mac OS X TeX] ghostscript from the command line with XFree86 ?

Richard Koch koch at math.uoregon.edu
Mon Jul 23 02:19:42 CEST 2001

<x-flowed>Folks,

Paul Fons asked if Ghostscript 7.0 will break TeXShop. Yes it will, but
there
is a workaround.

When TeXShop compiles files using the Tex + Ghostscript option, it
creates a
postscript file and then converts this file to a pdf using the
ghostscript command
ps2pdf. Apple's pdf software correctly renders pdf files created by
ghostscript 6.0. But the software has trouble with pdf files created by
ghostscript
7.0: illustrations are present, but most fonts are not. This bug has been
reported to Apple. Gerben Wierda originally included ghostscript 7.0 with
teTeX, but he reverted to ghostscript 6.0 when we discovered this bug.

Fink installs ghostscript in /sw/bin and does not overwrite the old
ghostscript in /usr/local/bin. There is a way to modify the installation
so
the new ghostscript will be used for everything except conversions from
ps to pdf.

	1) rename "/sw/bin/ps2pdfwr" to "/sw/bin/ps2pdfwr_new"

	2) make a copy of "/usr/local/bin/ps2pdfwr" in "/sw/bin/ps2pdfwr"

	3) edit this copy; at the very end, change "gs" to "/usr/local/bin/gs"

I'm not a ghostscript expert; please let me know of any problems.

Dick Koch
koch at math.uoregon.edu

"help" (no quotes) in the body.
messages posted by third parties.