[Mac OS X TeX] TEX -> EPDF?

Claus Gerhardt gerhardt at math.uni-heidelberg.de
Thu Dec 6 02:35:02 CET 2001

>So, I'm curious whether anyone knows a good way to get a single TeX
>equation as a piece of embedded PDF?  I'm envisioning a package that works
>like this:
>
>\usepackage{pdfout}
>\include{allmywackytexmacros.tex}
>
>\begin{document}
>
>\begin{pdfout}{exp1.pdf}
>\[ 1+1 = 2 \]
>\end{pdfout}
>
>\begin{pdfout}{exp2.pdf}
>\[ A = \pi \cdot r^2\]
>\end{pdfout}

\end{document}

Let me add some thoughts to my first mail to this problem: One can
produce arbitrary many  formulas in one latex document, e.g.

\documentclass[a4paper]{article}
\usepackage[metapost]{mfpic}
\opengraphsfile{myname}

\begin{document}

\begin{mfpic}[20]{0}{4}{0}{4}
%the numbers are arbitrary but reasonable in the present context.

\tlabel(0,0){ $\int_a^bf(x) dx$ }

\end{mfpic}

\medskip

\begin{mfpic}[20]{0}{4}{0}{4}
%the numbers are arbitrary but reasonable in the present context.

\tlabel(0,0){ $\sin\pi =0$ }

\end{mfpic}

%etc, preferably separated by \medskip
\closegraphsfile
\end{document}

After the first run of the document a file myname.mp is created which
one has to transform via the terminal using the command

mpost myname

After the second run of the document the file myname.pdf contains all
formulas. One can then open this file with Adobe Illustrator, copy
each formula separately, and save each of the formulas as an .eps
file which can either be used independently or can be transformed
with epstopdf to an embedded pdf file that can be read in via an
\includegraphics command.

Claus

--

Claus Gerhardt