[Mac OS X TeX] TeX fonts and Illustrator 10

Siep siepo at cybercomm.nl
Mon Dec 24 12:27:13 CET 2001

On Sat, 22 Dec 2001 13:39:01 +0100
Siep <siepo at cybercomm.nl> wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Dec 2001 15:51:48 -0500
> William Adams <wadams at atlis.com> wrote:
>
> > Siep asked:
> > >Does Create understand PostScript/pdf Bezier curves?
> >
> > Yes. There's a bezier pen tool, and one can draw any path / curve one
> > needs. Not quite as efficiently as in FH as I've posted here in the past
> > (though I do appreciate Andrew Stone's adding click-to-close path).
>
> Today I downloaded a fresh copy of Create and it still looks to me like
> splines; the pen tool is a spline pen tool, and apparently Type1 fonts,
> when converted to outlines, are converted to something different from
> their native Bezier curves, because you get way too many anchor points.
>
> I guess for many kinds of artwork the difference doesn't matter
> all that much but for e.g. logo design it is enough reason to look
> elsewhere.
>
> Siep

Followup: I had some correspondence with Andrew Stone, who wrote that what
Create calls splines are really beziers. Exporting to Illustrator
confirmed that claim. But this doesn't really change what I wrote about
using Create for things like logos.

Although Create isn't everything to all people, it represents good value
and deserves a look. I am all for replacing bloatware with something mean
and lean, and I am very sorry that Create won't do for me.

Siep

"help" (no quotes) in the body.
messages posted by third parties.