[Mac OS X TeX] File Types and Creators

Holger Frauenrath mail at frauenrath.com
Thu Dec 6 17:16:58 CET 2001

Hi.

Since I opened the editor Pepper once, all (at least a lot) of my files of
the file type TEXT have the Pepper creator code (they had been previously
created with Alpha, BBEdit or TeXShop; they have different extensions such
as .tex, .txt, .html), which just annoys me.

Apparently, there must be a system-wide preference or something like that
which defines which app to open files of a certain file type with. Is this
correct? Can someone point me to where I can readjust this?

Slightly off-topic, but on a related matter: John Syracusa, who has written
some very good articles on arstechnica.com on MacOS X in general, and, more
specifically, on metadata such as file types/creators, has a proposal and a
petition on how the MacOS should handle metadata and file extensions in the
future (and how it should not). For those who are interested:

<http://homepage.mac.com/jcs/.Public/metadata.txt>
<http://www.PetitionOnline.com/osxmd/petition.html>

Holger

"help" (no quotes) in the body.