[Mac OS X TeX] Re: TeX fonts and Illustrator 10

Alessio Guglielmi Alessio.Guglielmi at Inf.TU-Dresden.DE
Fri Dec 28 02:28:48 CET 2001

>Subject: Re: [Mac OS X TeX] Re: TeX fonts and Illustrator 10
>From: "Jacques Distler" <distler at golem.ph.utexas.edu>
>Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2001 19:59:36 -0600
>
>Alessio's "problem" stems from the fact that he's using some antiquated
>pre-OSX dvi previewer.
>
>With TeXShop (and the dvips+ghostscript setting), eps figures
>(in my case, prepared initially in Illustrator, but passed via several
>Unix machines and so *not* containing any PICT previews) show up perfectly
>well in any PDF viewer (either TeXShop's own, or AcroRead).
>
>PICT previews are entirely unnecessary in MacOSX.
>
>Alessio should change TeX implementations (or, at least previewers) rather
>than futzing with trying to create PICT previews.

Hello,

maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think there is any way of doing what I
do in a more convenient way. But, if you can suggest something
better, I'd be happy to know, of course.

I make really heavy use of XyPic, which means that on my G3 a
medium-sized paper can take a minute to pass through TeX. My solution
is to produce diagrams in such a way that I can choose either to
include them as XyPic sources or as EPS figures. When I compose the
paper, I use EPS files, for the final version I use the TeX source
files.

Now, Tom Kiffe's macdvi makes for an excellent previewer, because
it's fast and the quality of fonts on screen is better than that of
ghostscript (I use Type 1).

I could have the same quality of fonts, and maybe also the same
speed, by using pdfTeX, but this is not an option (as far as I know)
with XyPic, since I make use of postscript specials.

So, if I also want to see my figures (and I want) when composing the
paper, I need a preview attached to them, which I guess must be a
PICT.

Could I do better? Please consider that speed, quality of fonts,
XyPic specials are all very important factors for me.

-Alessio

"help" (no quotes) in the body.
messages posted by third parties.