[lucida] install Lucida Bright OpenType for TeXLive (2024-03-21 release)

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at icloud.com
Sun Mar 24 20:31:35 CET 2024

> On 24 Mar 2024, at 17:44, Bruno Voisin via lucida <lucida at tug.org> wrote:
>
>> On 24 Mar 2024, at 16:22, Mikael Sundqvist <mickep at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> \setupbodyfont[lucida]
>>
>> \starttext
>> This is a test
>> \stoptext
>>
>> works here. I put the Lucida otf files in ~/.fonts that also happens
>> to be $OSFONTDIR.
>
> This doesn't work here (on the Mac), the output is Latin Modern, not Lucida.
>
> My setup:
>
> - ConTeXt from TeX Live 2024 (ie no separate install directly from ConTeXt Garden).
>
> - Lucida OpenType fonts installed at /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/fonts/opentype/bh/lucidaot/.

This seems to be of problem of misconfiguration with the ConTeXt in TeX Live.

If I install ConTeXt in ~/context using the install script from

https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Installation

and

- Sets the path with

echo 'export PATH=~/context/tex/texmf-osx-arm64/bin:$PATH' >> ~/.zprofile

- Install Lucida OpenType to ~/context/tex/texmf-fonts/fonts/opentype/bh/lucidaot

- Run

mtxrun --generate
mtxrun --script fonts --reload

Then afterwards

% mtxrun --script fonts --list --all --pattern='*lucida*'
identifier                                  familyname               fontname                            filename                                 subfont   instances

lucidablackletterot                         lucidablackletterot      lucidablackletterot                 LucidaBlackletterOT.otf
lucidablackletterotblack                    lucidablackletterot      lucidablackletterot                 LucidaBlackletterOT.otf
lucidablackletterotregular                  lucidablackletterot      lucidablackletterot                 LucidaBlackletterOT.otf
lucidabrightmathot                          lucidabrightmathot       lucidabrightmathot                  LucidaBrightMathOT.otf
lucidabrightmathotdemibold                  lucidabrightmathot       lucidabrightmathotdemibold          LucidaBrightMathOT-Demi.otf
lucidabrightmathotnormal                    lucidabrightmathot       lucidabrightmathot                  LucidaBrightMathOT.otf
lucidabrightmathotregular                   lucidabrightmathot       lucidabrightmathot                  LucidaBrightMathOT.otf
lucidabrightot                              lucidabrightot           lucidabrightot                      LucidaBrightOT.otf
lucidabrightotdemibold                      lucidabrightot           lucidabrightotdemibold              LucidaBrightOT-Demi.otf
lucidabrightotdemibolditalic                lucidabrightot           lucidabrightotdemibolditalic        LucidaBrightOT-DemiItalic.otf
lucidabrightotitalic                        lucidabrightot           lucidabrightotitalic                LucidaBrightOT-Italic.otf
lucidabrightotnormal                        lucidabrightot           lucidabrightotitalic                LucidaBrightOT-Italic.otf
lucidabrightotregular                       lucidabrightot           lucidabrightot                      LucidaBrightOT.otf
[...]

and your example file uses Lucida Bright OT as expected (see attachment).

Unfortunately, given my lack of knowledge of ConTeXt, I can't really debug this. It seems that, as packaged in TeX Live 2024, ConTeXt does not look for fonts inside texmf-local. I have no idea whether that's normal or not. I'll post to the tex-live list, see whether someone there can help.

Bruno