[lucida] PDF font embedding for PDF/A, problem using Type 1 with accented characters

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Fri Feb 17 03:16:09 CET 2023

    Generally (hoping Karl Berry corrects me if I'm wrong), I think the
    Type 1 fonts are provided essentially "as is", they won't be
    updated.

We would fix the T1 fonts if there was a serious bug. After all,
we updated the base character in the bold c-cedilla :).

    The way forward is the OpenType version

It's true that any additional characters, etc., will happen in OT, not
T1. Although we also are not likely to make another OT release any time
soon, again barring some major bug.

FWIW, I sympathize with John, because OT typesetting and T1 typesetting
are entirely non-equivalent. So far as I've observed from the reports
from John and others, OT math generally comes out worse than T1.  Also,
Lua(La)TeX is considerably slower than pdftex (with no improvement
possible, apparently), and xe(la)tex does not support microtype font
expansion (thus requiring more gratuitous rewriting to avoid overfull
hboxes).

So, I personally use pdftex + T1 "by default" for TUGboat and all else,
unless the document at hand requires something else. I'm pretty sure I
am not alone in this :).

Well, enough random musings, back to the bug reports. --thanks, karl.