[lucida] Install lucida from Y&Y on MacTeX

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at icloud.com
Wed Aug 2 22:56:10 CEST 2023

Hi Maurizio, hi Reinhard,

For some reason I didn't get Maurizio's original message but got Reinhard's answer (I checked the Junk mailboxes, Maurizio's message isn't there).

Anyway, a classical problem on the Mac is having a combination of

- per-user setup, located in ~/Library/texlive/<year>/texmf-var/fonts/map/updmap/ and managed via updmap, and

- system-wide setup, located in /usr/local/texlive/<year>/texmf-var/fonts/map/updmap/ and managed via "sudo updmap-sys".

In that event, once the per-user setup is created by running "updmap" (without the -sys) it is the only one that is taken into account, no matter what. Whatever you put in texmf-local and whatever you do with updmap-sys afterwards, it won't matter.

In case that's the cause of your problem, just trash ~/Library/texlive/<year>/texmf-var/fonts/map/updmap/ and redo the magic with updmap-sys.

Personally I haven't run "sudo updmap-sys --enable [...]" or similar in years. What I do is create a file /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/web2c/updmap.cfg containing lines like

Map lucida.map

then run "sudo updmap-sys" (it is run automatically at the end of the MacTeX install process). You're done! See "texdoc updmap".

Attached is a listing of my Lucida Type 1 install, which is working on an M1 MacBook Pro with MacTeX 2023 (over the years I have used various Lucida setups, originally one for the Mac purchased from Blue Sky Research in the 1990s -- fonts in LWFN format and metrics in suitcase format -- which I converted to teTeX, gwTex then MacTeX -- fonts in PFB format and metrics in TFM and VF formats -- by the turn of the century, then new setups purchased from TUG and PCTeX).

Hope this works,

Bruno