[lucida] need to manually specify bold/italic fonts with current fontspec

Calum Mackay calum.mackay at cdmnet.org
Sun Jan 20 23:59:33 CET 2019

The document lucidaot.pdf says:

> In older versions of fontspec, when specifying OpenType fonts by filename
> (though not with system font lookups), it was necessary to explicitly
> specify the italic, bold, and bold italic file names [with arguments to \setmainfont]. It should no longer be
> necessary […]

[my additions in square brackets]

I've been using the Lucida fonts for some years, but today am trying
them for the first time on a MacOS system with TexLive 2018 (self-updated).

I've installed the fonts into the TeX tree, and run mktexlsr (but not
updmap-sys, as that's not mentioned in the install note). I'm using
lualatex.

I find that I do indeed need to manually specify the bold & italic
fonts, as arguments to \set[blah]font. If I don't, e.g. if I just use:

	\setmainfont[Scale=0.92]{LucidaBrightOT.otf}

then I don't get bold or italic type.

Instead, I have to:

	\setmainfont[% main font
		Scale=0.92,
		ItalicFont=LucidaBrightOT-Italic.otf,
		BoldFont=LucidaBrightOT-Demi.otf,
		BoldItalicFont=LucidaBrightOT-DemiItalic.otf,
	]{LucidaBrightOT.otf}

and all is well.

Yet my fontspec appears to be current:

Package: fontspec 2019/01/18 v2.6l Font selection for XeLaTeX and LuaLaTeX

Is this expected? Is the doc over-optmistic here?

thanks very much indeed,
calum.