[lucida] Lucida installation problem

Axel E. Retif axel.retif at gmail.com
Fri Aug 4 11:58:29 CEST 2017

On 08/04/2017 04:15 AM, David Saunders wrote:

> OK, I see. I've tried putting TeX Live at the begining of PATH

For the $PATH to take effect, you have to reboot or at least log out and
log back in.

See also that in the site I previously mentioned

     https://www.tug.org/texlive/debian.html

Norbert advises to set the PATH in /etc/login.defs, instead of
/etc/environment, as I suggested. I will do that next time I update
Ubuntu (to 18.04).

> Here's a strange thing. On the old laptop I was using as a testbed, I
> still get the error from pdftex testfont -- but TeXworks happily
> compiles lucida-sample.tex, and also all of my Lucida TeX files. I could
> live with that.

I don't use TeXworks, but what I guess is happening is that TeXworks
comes preconfigured to use the usual path of the repository-installed
TeXLive. If you look into TeXworks preferences, you might find somewhere
such paths.

> If that doesn't work, I'd be happy to try other suggestions, including a
> complete uninstall and reinstall if necessary. Perhaps I don't need TeX
> Live at all, if TeXworks comes with its own copy of TeX?

No, it doesn't ---it depends on the TeXLive in the repositories, as many
other applications do.

On Mac and Windows, you can install TeXworks without a TeX distribution
and then despair because «it doesn't work!». GNU/Linux distributions, on
the other hand, try to provide you with an integrated environment, so if
you want an application whose sole purpose is to typeset TeX documents,
they will install also a TeX distribution.

That's what even today many people still don't get it ---GNU/Linux is
easier to use than Mac and Windows! I can still use MacOS, but I can't
use Windows ---I'm not smart enough!

> Ultimately, all I really want to do is to produce mathematics in the
> form of papers, books and beamer presentations!

That's right!

Best

Axel