[lucida] Cannot find font

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at icloud.com
Thu May 5 09:49:15 CEST 2016

> Le 5 mai 2016 à 04:22, Axel E. Retif <axel.retif at mac.com> a écrit :
>
> On 05/04/2016 02:27 PM, Daniel Álvarez wrote:
>
>> I encounter the following problem when trying to compile
>>
>> kpathsea: Running mktexpk --mfmode / --bdpi 600 --mag 1+70/600 --dpi 670
>> hlhr8r
>>
>> mktexpk: don't know how to create bitmap font for hlhr8r.
>
> [...]
>>
>> xdvipdfmx:fatal: Cannot proceed without .vf or "physical" font for PDF
>> output...
>
> Where are your Lucida fonts located? Have you just installed them? Did you run updmap-sys? What platform and TeX distribution are you using?

You seem to be using the Type 1 Lucida fonts. The message about xdvipdfmx means you're using XeTeX, and that about mktexpk means XeTeX found the Lucida .tfm files such as hlhr8r.tfm but didn't realize they were associated with the Type 1 font files lbr.pfb etc. Most likely, as Axel points out, you didn't run updmap or updmap-sys.

First, but that's an aside here, for the Type 1 fonts there's no need to use XeTeX, good old pdfTeX would work just as well (unless you're requiring specific XeTeX features such as direct Unicode input, use of other OS-installed fonts, or the stronger compression of the PDF output).

But the problem seems to arise from an incomplete installation of the Type 1 fonts and associated support files. Did you follow the instructions at

http://tug.org/store/lucida/README-type1.txt

The following are complements specific to Mac OS X, I don't know for other platforms:

- Step 3): On OS X, ZIP archives (when you double-click them in the Finder) don't unpack into subdirectories. They unpack to a top-level directory with name that of the archive, and you've got to move manually all the subdirectories to the appropriate places inside your texmf tree (more on that later).

Here's I think how the installation is meant to look like

texmf/doc

	fonts/lucida
		lucida.txt
		readme.lucida

	fonts/lucidabr
		lucida-amsmath.pdf
		[...]
		lucidabr.txt
texmf/fonts

	afm/bh/lucida
		README.lucida-afm
		[...]
		lstr.afm

	map/dvips
		lucida/lucida.map
		lucida.map

	map/vtex
		lucida/lucida.ali

	tfm/bh/lucida
		hlcbot8a.tfm
		[...]
		hlxri8y.tfm

	type1/bh/lucida
		lbc.pfb
		[...]
		lstr.pfm

	vf/bh/lucida
		hlcbot8c.vf
		[...]
		hlxri8t.vf

texmf/source

	fonts/lucida
		lucida-fontinst.zip

	fonts/lucidabr
		Makefile
		[...]
		manifest.txt

texmf/tex

	latex/lucida
		ly1hlce.fd
		[...]
		ts1hlx.fd

	latex/lucidabr
		lmrhlcm.fd
		[...]
		omxhlcv.fd

Some subdirectories are optional

texmf/doc/fonts/{lucida,lucidabr}
texmf/fonts/afm/bh/lucida
texmf/source/fonts/{lucida,lucidabr}

but all the others are mandatory.

- Step 4): On OS X, you may install the fonts either at the OS level so they're available for all the accounts on your Mac, or for your account only. The latter possibility, ie the user-level install, is the easiest of the two, and the most frequent one since most Macs only have one account on them.

The user-level install goes into ~/Library/texmf, where ~ means your home directory /Users/[your account name]. You've got nothing to do in Step 4, TeX is automatically aware of all that's inside ~/Library/texmf.

The OS-level install goes into /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local. After putting all the required elements there, you need to make TeX aware of the addition. Open the Terminal app (in /Applications/Utilities) and type

	sudo mktexlsr

This reconstructs the filename database, used by TeX and friends to find files.

- Step 5): You need to reconstruct also the map file database, so TeX and friends know that the TFM file hlhr8r.tfm is associated with the Type 1 file lbr.pfb re-encoded according to TeXBase1Encoding as defined in 8r.enc, and so forth.

For a user-level install you do that by running, in Terminal,

	updmap

and for an OS-level install

	sudo updmap-sys

That should be all.