[lucida] Lucida OpenType installation problem

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at icloud.com
Sat Oct 18 10:49:06 CEST 2014

> Le 17 oct. 2014 à 23:27, Robert Almgren <almgren at cims.nyu.edu> a écrit :
>
> Thanks very much for looking at that. Actually I could not get it to work, probably because I don't understand TeX fonts well enough to know how ot set it up. But the existing structure is not so bad and I can certainly live with it.

After sending my earlier message I realized two of the three attached files had incorrect extensions .fontspec.tex instead of the intended .fontspec. It's TeXShop, the app I used to write them on the Mac, which did that: not being aware of the new .fontspec extension, it added .tex automatically and made it invisible in the Finder; I should have thought of that (it's not the first time that sort of things happens), and did for one file, but forgot for the other two. Sorry!

In any case, here's what I advise doing. Looking for earlier posts, I see you work on the Mac, which makes things easier -- for me!

Attached are the three files (with corrected extensions), and the file I used for testing: lucidaot.tex, in which the lines specifying the bold and/or italic fonts had been commented out and the font calls changed from the full file name such as LucidaBrightOT.otf to the font alias such as LucidaBrightOT (with or without spaces, that's immaterial here, fontspec strips them out). In others words,

\setmainfont[% main rm
      ItalicFont=LucidaBrightOT-Italic.otf,
        BoldFont=LucidaBrightOT-Demi.otf,
  BoldItalicFont=LucidaBrightOT-DemiItalic.otf,
  ]{LucidaBrightOT.otf}

was changed to

\setmainfont{Lucida Bright OT}

and so forth.

First, save the four files to the same directory and XeLaTeX lucidaot.tex (either in TeXShop, or in Terminal with "xelatex lucidaot"). Hopefully this will work.

Second make the change permanent by moving

LucidaBrightOT.fontspec
LucidaSansOT.fontspec
LucidaSansTypewriterOT.fontspec

to /Library/TeX/Local/tex/latex/lucidaot/ say, running "sudo mktexlsr" afterwards (or directly to ~/Library/texmf/tex/latex/lucidaot/ without mktexlsr).

Then, you should be able to use the fonts directly in a XeLaTeX document by writing

\usepackage{fontspec}
\usepackage{unicode-math}

\setmainfont{Lucida Bright OT}
\setsansfont{Lucida Sans OT}
\setmonofont{Lucida Sans Typewriter OT}

\setmathfont{LucidaBrightMathOT.otf}
\setmathfont[version=bold]{LucidaBrightMathOT-Demi.otf}

(I am not aware of a similar mechanism for unicode-math, which is still experimental and beta, so you still have to specify the math and bold math font file names).

The same should also work with LuaLaTeX, which in its current version is able to recognize the fonts based on their names only without needing any .fontspec file.

If none of the above works, then the last thing that could be tried is editing the .fontspec files to specify the file name extensions, hence changing

\defaultfontfeatures[LucidaBrightOT]
  {
   UprightFont = [LucidaBrightOT],
  }

\defaultfontfeatures[LucidaBrightOT]
  {
   UprightFont = [LucidaBrightOT.otf],
   BoldFont = [LucidaBrightOT-Demi.otf],
   ItalicFont = [LucidaBrightOT-Italic.otf],
   BoldItalicFont = [LucidaBrightOT-DemiItalic.otf]
  }

and so forth. On the tests I did on my Mac it wasn't necessary, but maybe on other setups and OSes it is.

Hope this will work,

Bruno Voisin