[lucida] Lucida OpenType installation problem

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at icloud.com
Thu Jul 17 20:19:25 CEST 2014

Le 4 juil. 2014 à 00:43, Karl Berry <karl at freefriends.org> a écrit :

>    Does that mean that it would be enough to say simply
>   \setmainfont{LucidaBrightOT.otf}
>   \setsansfont{LucidaSansOT.otf}
>   \setmonofont{LucidaSansTypewriterOT.otf}
>   \setmathfont{LucidaBrightMathOT.otf}
>
> Yes, that is my understanding of what will work, approximately speaking,
> once the .fontspec file is created.  I haven't delved into it in detail,
> though.

Not quite the same thing, but related: with the Lucida OpenType fonts installed at the system level, you could simply write

	\setmainfont{Lucida Bright OT}
	\setsansfont{Lucida Sans OT}
	\setmonofont{Lucida Sans Typewriter OT}

in XeLaTeX and the bold fonts were found, but in LuaLaTeX you had to write

	\setmainfont
	  [BoldFont=Lucida Bright OT Demibold]
	  {Lucida Bright OT}
	\setsansfont
	  [BoldFont=Lucida Sans OT Demibold]
	  {Lucida Sans OT}
	\setmonofont
	  [BoldFont=Lucida Sans Typewriter OT Bold]
	  {Lucida Sans Typewriter OT}

otherwise the bold fonts weren't found. This was a regression: some time back, things used to be the same as with XeLaTeX, as documented in lucidaot-sys-example.pdf.

A couple of days ago version 2.5 of luaotfload was released, which gets rid of the regression: now you can write

	\setmainfont{Lucida Bright OT}
	\setsansfont{Lucida Sans OT}
	\setmonofont{Lucida Sans Typewriter OT}

with both XeLaTeX and LuaLaTeX and all the fonts are found, including bold. After installing the new luaotfload (on the Mac this was done by TeX Live Utility), you need to run "luaotfload-tool --update --force".

Bruno Voisin