[lucida] alle jahre wieder --- suggestions to improve http://tug.org/store/lucida/README-type1.txt

ivo welch ivo.welch at gmail.com
Wed Jul 24 03:42:37 CEST 2013

thank you, reinhard and bruno.  I would still suggest that you please
add in the install document the checks you suggested here after each
step to confirm each is done correctly.

there is some method to my file organization madness.  by keeping
~/texmf-local/ all in my home directory, I can drag my home directory
across different computers and expect not to forget about it.  in
addition, my backup is for /home, not for local.  in any case, it
should work.  (it has in the past.)  I could add /usr/local/ to it and
move there, but even my ~/bin/* file is my own written stuff, whereas
/usr/local/bin/ is for where other third-party packages usually
install into.

I moved the .otf files into a fonts/opentype directory.  This wasn't
the problem, but it looks better this way.  :-).  before, I just had
these files sitting in ~/texmf-local/ .  these files are the charter
fonts, not the lucida fonts.  in addition, my understanding is that
.otf files cannot be used by pdflatex, anyway.

I tried updmap-sys.  this didn't do it, either.  indeed, it gives me
nice info---lots of it.  perhaps too much.  :-).

# kpsewhich lbmr.pfb
/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/fonts/type1/bh/lucida/lbmr.pfb

so this part was good.  now,

# ls -l `kpsewhich pdftex.map`
~ /.texlive2013/texmf-var/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex.map ->
pdftex_dl14.map  # abbreviated
# ls -l `kpsewhich pdftex_dl14.map`
-rw-rw-r-- 1 me 1079729 Jun 29 19:48
~/.texlive2013/texmf-var/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex_dl14.map

which are not from today.  so, presumably, here is where I went sour.
and 'rm -rf ~/.texlive2013 ; updmap' fixed the problem.  somehow, the
existence of ~/.texlive2013/ prevented the proper update.

thanks, gentlemen.

regards,

/iaw

----