[lucida] Large braces, question and/or feature request

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at me.com
Tue Apr 2 19:41:36 CEST 2013

Le 2 avr. 2013 à 19:23, Bruno Voisin <bvoisin at me.com> a écrit :

> So support from the font is required. Looking at §3.3 of lucidaot.pdf, Lucida doesn't seem to offer that through OpenType features, and looking at unicode-math-table.tex, Unicode doesn't seem to have separate slots for curly and straight braces.

Attached is p. 3 of mathtest.pdf, one of the test files of the original Lucida (Type 1) distribution by Y&Y. This page displays all the available delimiter shapes and sizes.

The accompanying lcdplain.tex in the distro defined additional fixed delimiter sizes \biggg and \Biggg compared with plain TeX, as follows:

	% Adjusted for LucidaNewMath-Extension at 9.5pt and math axis at 3.13pt
	% Note: delimiter increments are 5.5pt (as opposed to 6pt in CM)

	\def\big#1{{\hbox{$\left#1\vbox to8.20\p@{}\right.\n at space$}}}
	\def\Big#1{{\hbox{$\left#1\vbox to10.80\p@{}\right.\n at space$}}}
	\def\bigg#1{{\hbox{$\left#1\vbox to13.42\p@{}\right.\n at space$}}}
	\def\Bigg#1{{\hbox{$\left#1\vbox to16.03\p@{}\right.\n at space$}}}
	\def\biggg#1{{\hbox{$\left#1\vbox to17.72\p@{}\right.\n at space$}}}
	\def\Biggg#1{{\hbox{$\left#1\vbox to21.25\p@{}\right.\n at space$}}}
	\def\n at space{\nulldelimiterspace\z@ \m at th}

	% define some extra large sizes - always done using extensible parts

	\def\bigggl{\mathopen\biggg}
	\def\bigggr{\mathclose\biggg}
	\def\Bigggl{\mathopen\Biggg}
	\def\Bigggr{\mathclose\Biggg}

That was for the scaled characters sizes:

	% LucidaBright has larger x-height and cap-height than CM, so it is
	% desirable to use a somewhat smaller font size (95%), as is done here.
	% Also, since smaller sizes are derived by scaling, it is better to
	% increase the relative size of super/sub-scripts a bit, as shown here.

	% set up the basic set of fonts needed - for additional ones see later

	% plain CM uses:  5,   6,   7,   8,   9,   10,  11,   12,   14,   18
	% plain LB uses:  5.2, 6.1, 6.9, 7.8, 8.6,  9.5, 10.4, 11.2, 12.9, 16.4

Given the Type1 inheritance of Lucida OpenType, I assume the available curly brace sizes so far are the same.

Bruno Voisin