[lucida] Sample documents

Josep Maria Font jmfont at ub.edu
Mon May 7 09:36:33 CEST 2012

Hi Karl (and see what other lucida-interested folks think),

After Bruno's most erudite information at my question on obtaining old style numerals (osf) with small caps font in Lucida, I notice all this issue is missing in the document "lucida-type1.tex" (formerly: "lucida-sample.tex") included in the distribution. I suppose this file is the main source of information on installing and using the fonts for *average* users, so I suggest that this issue should be dealt with in this document. Specifically, I propose the following changes:

1) Since both encodings T1 and LY1 are mentioned at the beginning of Section 2.1, to add at its end that exactly the same results would be obtained with \usepackage[LY1]{fontenc} and without \usepackage{textcomp}.

2) To add near the end of Section 2.2, just before the sentence "Now, let's take a more systematic look at the fonts.", that if one wants just to obtain oldstyle numerals as the default with small caps, then it is enough to do the same as before, while if one wants both things (osf as default with small caps *and* \oldstylenums) then one can change T1 to LY1 in fontenc and include a modified \oldstylenums definition as suggested in Bruno's last message.

I volunteer to present a modified "lucida-type1.tex" file if you like. As to changes to be made in "lucidaot.tex", concerning Open Type fonts, but I understand they are still under development, so more expert opinions will be around. Anyway, old typographic tradition dictates old style numerals should be used with small caps, so I would say something as well there.

Best,

JMaF