[lucida] TeXShop installation of Lucida fonts

Axel E. Retif axel.retif at mac.com
Mon Feb 21 08:38:10 CET 2011

On 20 Feb, 2011, at 12:55, Lori Hughes wrote:

Sorry for not replying sooner.

>> [...]
>>
>> First, where did you install the Lucida package: /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local or ~/Library/texmf?
>
> both places. Maybe overkill, but I thought perhaps TeXShop was searching the other place

TeXShop in fact only searches the binaries (say, pdftex) and the rest is done by a very complex mechanism thanks to the kpathsea library (of which kpsewhich is a tool). So if TeXShop is finding the binaries, we have to look somewhere else for the problem.

If you're using an Intel Mac, the command Karl told you

	ls -l /usr/texbin

should output

	/usr/texbin@ -> ../Library/TeX/Distributions/.DefaultTeX/Contents/Programs/i386

Now ---you say you installed in both /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local and ~/Library/texmf, but at least you didn't in fact install in ~/Library/texmf (but ~/Library/texlive/2010) ---are you sure you did install also in /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local? When you say where lucida.map is, you don't mention /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local.

By your first email, I can see that Karl's command

	kpsewhich updmap.cfg

will output /usr/local/texlive/2010/texmf-config/web2c/updmap.cfg ---right? If so, we're OK with that.

Before editing by hand updmap.cfg, let's examine what ~/Library/texlive/2010/ is. This directory is the equivalent of ~.texlive2010/ in Linux systems (up to MacTeX 2009, we also had a ~.texlive2009/ directory).

Now ---I'm not sure if sudo updmap-sys will look into this directory for map files. In your first email you said that with sudo updmap-sys --enable Map lucida.map you got

updmap: initial config file is `/usr/local/texlive/2010/texmf-config/web2c/updmap.cfg'
updmap: configuration (updmap.cfg) unchanged. Map files will not be recreated

so I'm guessing ``sudo updmap-sys'' didn't find or look into ~/Library/texlive/2010, though kpsewhich does. Just to be sure, the command

	updmap --listmaps | grep lucida

in my system outputs

updmap: This is updmap, version $Id: updmap 17423 2010-03-11 17:53:34Z karl $ updmap: no permissions for writing /usr/local/texlive/2010/texmf-var/web2c/updmap.log', so no transcript
Map lucida.map

but you don't get that last ``Map lucida.map'' line, right?

Now ---what I would advise you to do is uninstall every Lucida file in ~/Library/texlive/2010/ ---*absolutely everything*: *.tfm, *.fd, *.sty, etc.--- and put all in

/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local

In your Terminal the command

	open `kpsewhich --var-value TEXMFLOCAL`

should open said directory, right? Then copy the lucida .zip file there; say your .zip file is in the Desktop and its name is lucida.zip, then

	cd ~/Desktop
	sudo cp lucida.zip /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/

I see in http://www.tug.org/store/lucida/README.TUG that the Lucida package is distributed as an unpackaging-into-place archive; so ---but, please, Karl et al., correct me if I'm wrong---

	cd /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local
	sudo unzip lucida.zip

should unpack everything into place. If it doesn't, please tell us and I'll give a list of where you should put every item.

If it does, as I hope so, then, in your Terminal

	sudo texhash
	sudo updmap-sys --nohash --nomkmap --syncwithtrees
	sudo updmap-sys --enable Map=lucida.map

and you're donne.

Please tell us if it works.

Best