[lucida] ccaron with wrong caron placement

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 00:19:38 CET 2010

On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 20:58, Karl Berry wrote:
>    A friend of mine gave me some text (using Lucida font)
>
> Can you please send me the TeX input?  (Ideally using TeX control
> sequences for the input, not 8-bit characters.  Just easier for me.)

It's the following sequence:
- \v{c}\v{s}\v{z}\v{C}\v{S}\v{Z}\'{c}\'{C}
that most notably gives inferior result on \v{c} under \bf (maybe even
worse on \'{C}), but in general generates different heights of caron
relative to the letter; there's no rule about where the caron should
stand vertically, but it's weird when the three letters stand next to
each other under slightly bigger magnification.

The main problem with horizontal accent positioning is that c/C (as
well as G) are assymetric (center of curve on top is not on center of
glyph), so the accent is placed too much to the left.

The second problem with vertical placement is simply inconsistency
between Lucida authors (who designed \v{s} and \v{z}) and TeX's
decision where accent on \v{c} should be placed by default.

Maybe I need to point out that:
- I'm astonished about the good quality of dcroat/Dcroat (\dj/\Dj if
that's the right LaTeX sequence; I don't know)
- The result is equally "bad" when using \bf\v{c} or \v{C} with CM and
default TeX encoding, but there's quite difference between \v{c} in CM
and T1-encoded LM.

Mojca

PS: I hope that it's ok to send (really small) attachments. Note the
difference on \v{c}. In csz-def.pdf it's centered relative to bounding
box, but on csz-t1.pdf it's centered relative to arch on top of c and
looks much better. The same problem is with Lucida's default placement
in virtual fonts.