[lucida] sudden doubt

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Fri Dec 10 01:47:39 CET 2010

    look at lucida-sample.log [...]
    LaTeX Font Info:    Font shape `T1/hlcw/m/n' in size <10.95> not available
    (Font)              Font shape `T1/hlcw/m/it' tried instead on input line 293.

Yes, it's normal.  t1hlcw.fd explicitly says to substitute hlcriw8t for
anything.  It's the handwriting font, and only exists in italic.

    Also typesetting lucida-oneline-samples.tex from the same web-site I
    get in the log:
    LaTeX Font Warning: Font shape `T1/hls/bf/n' undefined
    (Font)              using `T1/hls/m/n' instead on input line 87.

Also normal.

    Where could I read some explanation about the difference between the
    two declarations?

I'm afraid there is nothing beyond the annotated source -- see the
lucidabr.pdf document that is in the distribution (or
http://mirror.ctan.org/macros/latex/contrib/psnfssx/lucidabr/lucidabr.pdf).

That is what defines all the options.  To be honest, I don't know what
they all do myself.  If anyone would like to draft some improved
documentation of them that I could include in the future, that would be
great.

Thanks for your support,
Karl