[lucida] lucida, kile, kdvi, not working

Axel E. Retif axel.retif at mac.com
Sun Mar 22 00:14:50 CET 2009

Jim,

> Hi Axel:  Thanks your for the suggestions.  I will try replacing
> Kdvi with Xdvi.
>
> Also, I have tried pdfLaTeX and obtain the same result as with Kdvi.

So the problem is not Kdvi, but the Lucida set up.

> When I use, say, the palantino font, there are no problems with Kdvi
> or pdfLaTeX.
>
> This leads me to ask if I have installed from lucida.zip incorrectly.
>
> I am new to linux coming from the xp os.  Since the linux
> subdirectory structure is different, I don't know if the lucida
> fonts, map file, etc are where they should be.
>
> But yes, texlive is installed in /usr/share on my desktop.

OK. I'll tell you where I have the Lucida files in Ubuntu, and you'll
have to adequate that to your setup (/usr/share... instead of /usr/
local...):

I have all additions in

/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local

You should have a texmf-local directory somewhere. Locate that and, if
you already have some Lucida files there, I would delete them first ---
*just the Lucida files*, nothing more.

Then open a Terminal and copy the Lucida.zip file in texmf-local; for
example, in my case,

sudo cp '/home/axretif/Desktop/lucida-complete.zip' '/usr/local/
texlive/texmf-local'

(all in one single line; it's easier if you open a Terminal, type sudo
cp <space>, drag your Lucida zip icon file there and then drag the
texmf-local icon directory ---that should give you the complete and
right paths to zip file and directory, as above).

Now cd to texmf-local:

cd '/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local'

And now uncompress the Lucida zip file; v.gr.,

sudo unzip lucida-complete.zip

That should uncompress everything already in place; that is, for
example, *.afm files in

/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/fonts/afm/bh/lucida

etc. If everything went fine, now

sudo texhash

and then

sudo updmap-sys --nohash --nomkmap --syncwithtrees

and the last step:

sudo updmap-sys --enable Map=lucida.map

That's it.

Of course, you could use your own (in your home directory) ~/texmf
directory, but I think the above is better.

Please come back if you still have problems.

Best,

Axel