[lucida] why these strange tfm names?

ivo welch ivo_welch at brown.edu
Wed Oct 1 15:25:55 CEST 2008

As a total neophyte, may I ask why the .tfm files still have these
strange names?  Why can they not simply keep the same names as the fonts
themselves?  we are now 20 years into the era of filenames that are more
than 8 characters long.  heck, is anyone in this world still running tex
on a filesystem that cannot deal with filenames that are, say, 32
characters long?  if such a system even still exists, in the interest of
world peace, can we ask these users to spend $100 on a used computer on
ebay, so that everyone else does not face these arcane conventions any
longer?

more pragmatically, can I simply rename the tfm files? that is, will

# mv hlhr8y.tfm lbr.tfm
or
# ln -s hlhr8y.tfm lbr.tfm

work?