[lucida] Installation problem on MacTeX 2007

Thomas S. Dye tsd at tsdye.com
Sat May 3 19:55:56 CEST 2008

Aloha all,

The lucida-complete distribution unpacks lucida.map in /fonts/map/dvips/

updmap-sys --enable lucida.map doesn't get found there, following the
installation instructions that come with the distribution.

I looked in /fonts/map/dvips/ and found that the fonts installed by
getnonfreefonts all had subdirectories where they kept the map files.

I made a subdirectory, lucida, and moved lucida.map there.

updmap-sys --enable lucida.map didn't feel it needed to update
anything, so I had to run updmap-sys without the --enable switch.
This found the map file and all is well.

I ran texhash a couple of times.  Once after the original installation
and again after I moved lucida.map.  I don't know if updmap-sys
depends on the texlsr database, but the successful run of updmap-sys
followed a call to texhash.

It looks to me as if the tex directory structure has changed since the
lucida-complete distribution was put together, and that it needs to be
changed to work correctly on a Macintosh.

All the best,

Thomas S. Dye, Ph.D.
T. S. Dye & Colleagues, Archaeologists, Inc.
Phone: (808) 529-0866 Fax: (808) 529-0884
http://www.tsdye.com