[lucida] Problems Installing Lucida Fonts in TeXLive

Anil V. Rao anilvrao at ufl.edu
Fri Nov 2 13:14:37 CET 2007

Dear Sir or Madam:

I am current member of TUG and have just upgraded my Y&Y license for the
Lucida fonts to the TUG license for the fonts.  I now have a question
about how to install these fonts in the TeXLive distribution of LaTeX.

For years I have been using teTeX and have had no problem installing the
fonts (I simply created a directory called "$/texmf/fonts/type1/lucida",
copied the pfb files to this directory, and ran mktexlsr).  However, I
have recently upgraded from OpenSuse 10.2 to OpenSuse 10.3.  In the
process of the upgrade, teTeX was clobbered and replaced by TeXLive.  I
am able to use TeXLive without the Lucida fonts, but I am completely
unable to figure out how to install the Lucida fonts in TeXLive.
The directory structure in TeXLive is completely different from that of
teTeX and I have no idea how to navigate through it to find the correct
place to put files, etc.

Just for clarification, I have the files from Y&Y, i.e., the pfb files
have the Y&Y names (e.g., lbr.pfb).  If somebody could give me a set of
instructions as to where I should place the pfb files, other packages
that I may need to download, and any other things I need to execute
(e.g., mktexlsr, updmap), I would greatly appreciate it.

Anil V. Rao
Assistant Professor
Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
University of Florida
314 MAE-A
P.O. Box 116250
Gainesville, FL 32611-6250