[lucida] Simple installation question

Axel E. Retif axretif at igo.com.mx
Fri May 18 12:10:35 CEST 2007

On  18 May, 2007, at 03:52, Ian Fitzgerald wrote:

> In message <200705172213.l4HMD5d27551 at f7.net> you wrote:
>
>> Hi Ian,
>>
>>     I shall begin by sending a log and output for the standard lucida
>>     test file, lucida-sample.tex
>>
>> 1) the pdf has basically no text.
>> 2) the log shows why.  It ends with a bunch of msgs like this:
>> pdfTeX warning: pdflatex.exe (file hlcrf8r): Font hlcrf8r at 618
>> not found
>>
>> The hlc* files are the Lucida fonts.  (H is for Holmes, lc is for
>> Lucida.)  The message says it couldn't find them.
>>
>> In this case, I suspect it's because you added the entries to
>> psfonts.map, but pdftex reads a different file: pdftex.map.  From
>> earlier in the log file:
>> {c:/TeXLive2007/texmf-var/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex.map}
>>
>> This is one reason to use updmap -- it automatically adds the
>> entries to
>> psfonts.map, pdftex.map, and in fact a third map for dvipdfm[x],
>> whose
>> location escapes right now.
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>> karl
>
> OK. Neither contains references from lucida.map .
>
> What would be the best location to put lucida.map before running
> updmap, and
> what would be the best command options for running updmap?

In

.../texmf-doc/doc/english/texlive-en/live.html

you can find instructions about Windows.

If you want my blind guess, locate your updmap.cfg (mine is in .../
texlive/2007/texmf-config/web2c/) and at the end of the file put

Map lucida.map

press return and save the file. Then run simply

updmap-sys

if it complains about -sys, just run updmap

*Please beware* ---it's just my blind guess.

Once you have Lucida running, you will not regret all your troubles.
I promise.

Best,

Axel