[lucida] Simple installation question

Ian Fitzgerald ianf at ozemail.com.au
Wed May 16 12:26:38 CEST 2007

In message <B5AE94E6-FD39-4AE9-95C3-7F585AFAA769 at igo.com.mx> you wrote:

> Ian,
>

> > I am re-installating the Lucida package after installing TexLive
> > 2007. I have
> > unpacked the main package into texmf as per instructions, and re-
> > built the
> > Is-R.
> >
> > However, I have searched, but am unable to find documentation on the
> > placement of lucida.map, and the subsequent instructions for
> > integrating it
> > for pdf and dvi use.
> >
> > Can someone tell me where to find the instructions?
>
> You have to tell us which platform are you using. Assuming a *n*x
> platform (I'm using Mac OS), if you installed the fonts in your $HOME
> tree, the map goes in
>
> ~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/
>
> on a Mac, and I think should be
>
> $HOME/texmf/fonts/map/
>
> in Linux. Or, if you installed system wide, it is
>
> /usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf-config/fonts/map/
>
> on a Mac, and I think something very similar en Linux. In a terminal, do
>
> kpsewhich --show-path=map
>
> and look for the first results.
>
> Rebuild the ls-R databases again, and then
>
> sudo updmap-sys --enable Map=lucida.map
>
> so pdftex and dvips can use the fonts.
>
> If you're using Windows, I'm so sorry ---I don't know what to do.
>

> Best,
>
> Axel

I have installed TeXLive2007 on a MS Windows XP Pro machine.
I used kpsewhich to find pdftex, and inserted the text from lucida.map into
it in its alphabetic orderly place, and saved the file.

I then ran updmap -- Map lucida.map

I re-ran ls-r.

However, pdftex produces a document in sans-serif(do not know which one), but
poorly typeset, and manages to display an included jpeg figure. The DVI
application (dviout for Windows, v3.18.1) appears to produce a lucida font
for display, but fails to reproduce the figure (I guess not related to the
lucida problem). I also have some AUCTeX configuration to complete, but I
think that is also an unrelated state.

--
Ian Fitzgerald