[lucida] Installatiion problem under TeXLive

Thomas, Larry LTHOMAS at spc.edu
Mon Jun 12 20:01:20 CEST 2006

Hi, all ... Especially Karl:

I'm sorry to have let this thread go so long, but it is just now that I
really need the Lucida fonts, so I am back at it. (I appended my
original inquiry to the end of Karl's response, shown below.)

of the TEXMF = line in both  \texmf\web2c\texmf.cnf and
\texmf-var\web2c\texmf.cnf. (For some reason, Windows XP thinks
texmf.cnf is a "speed dial" file and makes it very hard to change it.)
But that didn't work; I got the same error messages indicating that TeX
could not find the Lucida fonts.

Then I removed the Lucida-related .sty files from latex/psnfssx and
re-ran mktexlsr, and then the Lucida sample file with the result :

! LaTeX Error: File `lucidabr.sty' not found.

I checked, and lucidabr.sty is in c:\program files\TeXLive\texmf-local,
along with the other Lucida files.

I don't know what to try next, so any suggestions are welcomed. If all
else fails, maybe someone can help me with it at Practical TeX 2006 in
August.

Thanks,
--Larry

>>Karl's response to my original post:

Subject: Re: [lucida] Installatiion problem under TeXLive

Hi Larry,

    (c:/Program
Files/TeXLive/texmf/tex/latex/psnfssx/omlhlcm.fd)kpathsea:

It seems your system is finding an older version of the .fd files (and
maybe others, in the part you snipped), instead of the new one from TUG.

Ordinarily, I thought TL configured things so that the local tree would
be found first (I know that's true on Unix).  You might look for your
texmf.cnf (c:/Program Files/TeXLive/texmf*/web2c/texmf.cnf) and see what
the ordering is in the line: TEXMF = ... (About 100+ lines from the
top.)

Meanwhile, another way to fix it would be to move all the old
Lucida-related files in latex/psnfssx out of the tree entirely, rerun
mktexlsr, and then it should find the new ones.

Hope this helps,
Karl
>>My original post:

Hi,
  I'm trying to install the Lucida fonts, but I've run into a snag.
  (Part of the log file is included at the end of this message.)

Here is what I have done:
I unzipped font files to c:\program files\TeXLive\texmf-local
I updated textcomp.sty
I ran mktexlsr from a command window with the following results:

===================
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

H:\>mktexlsr
mktexlsr: Updating c:/Program Files/TeXLive/texmf-var/ls-R...
mktexlsr: Updating c:/Program Files/TeXLive/texmf-local/ls-R...
mktexlsr: Updating c:/Program Files/TeXLive/texmf/ls-R...
mktexlsr: Done.

H:\>
====================

I tried lucida-sample.tex and got the following (in part):

This is e-TeXk, Version 3.141592-2.1 (Web2c 7.5.2)
 %&-line parsing enabled.
 (c:/Program Files/TeXLive/texmf/web2c/cp8bit.tcx)
entering extended mode
(./lucida-sample.tex
LaTeX2e <2001/06/01>

<snipped>

(c:/Program Files/TeXLive/texmf/tex/latex/psnfssx/omlhlcm.fd)kpathsea:
Running m
ktextfm hlcrima
mktextfm: Could not map typeface abbreviation lc for hlcrima.
mktextfm: Need to update c:/Program
Files/TeXLive/texmf/fontname/special.map?
mktextfm: Running mf "\mode:=ljfour; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input hlcrima"
This is METAFONT, Version 2.71828 (Web2c 7.5.2) (c:/Program
Files/TeXLive/texmf/web2c/cp8bit.tcx)

kpathsea: Running mktexmf hlcrima
mktexmf: empty or non-existent rootfile!
! I can't find file `hlcrima'.
<*> ...=ljfour; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input hlcrima

Please type another input file name
! Emergency stop.
<*> ...=ljfour; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input hlcrima

Transcript written on mfput.log.
mktextfm: warning: can't open log file hlcrima.log.
mktextfm: `mf "\mode:=ljfour; mag:=1; nonstopmode; input hlcrima"'
failed.
kpathsea: Appending font creation commands to missfont.log.

! Font OML/hlcm/m/it/17.28=hlcrima at 15.72485pt not loadable: Metric
(TFM) fil
e not found.
<to be read again>
                   relax
l.81 \maketitle

?

I can kind of see what the problem is, but I don't know how to fix it.

Thanks for your help

Larry