[lucida] Installing Lucida on MacOSX 10.4.5 ?

Axel E. Retif axretif at igo.com.mx
Fri Jun 9 05:12:10 CEST 2006

On Jun 8, 2006, at 1:50 PM, Karl Berry wrote:

>     This last paragraph is rather vexing.
>
> Yes, I actually agree with you.  However, I had no way to improve it
> myself, since merely unzipping the files worked for me with the
> system I
> use (TeX Live), and I did not care to guess what invocations might be
> needed on other systems.
>
> Now that Axel kindly sent the invocation for updmap-sys that he
> needed,
> I can add that to the documentation.

[...]

> Other improvements to the documentation, on this topic or others, are
> most welcome.  I tried to write everything I knew about it when I made
> the distribution, so I need contributions to make improvements at this
> point.

Unfortunately, there are not straightforward instructions, given the
flexibility we have with gwTeX. I, for example, install fonts
and .map files in my $HOME tree:

~/Library/texmf/dvips/config/lucida.map

then I run

sudo updmap-sys --enable Map=lucida.map

With this, configuration file updated is

/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/web2c/updmap.cfg

and /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/
pdftex_dl14.map, etc.

Others install in ~/Library/texmf..., but run updmap --enable
Map=lucida.map (without the sudo and -sys) and then I think a
updmap.cfg file is created in

~/Library/texmf/web2c

The best would be to follow Gerben Wierda's advice (April 23, 2006,
to TeX on Mac OS X Mailing List):
Personally, I would advise to install in texmf.local and use "sudo -H
updmap-sys" (etc.), that way, the TeX i-Package configuration will be
aware of it and you have only one setup on your system (simpler).

Of course, a dream come true would be to buy the fonts and then have
the option to install manually or through i-Installer or MikTeX.

Best,

Axel