[lucida] Questions on Lucida on Mac OS X

Axel E. Retif axretif at igo.com.mx
Fri Jul 28 17:53:09 CEST 2006

El 7/28/06 8:45 AM, "Phil Molyneux" <molyneux at kingston.ac.uk> escribió:

> I have just obtained the Lucida complete font set from TUG and am installing
> it
> on a machine running Mac OS X 10.4.7 with the TeX distribution from the
> i-Installer of Gerben Wierda updated yesterday --- the versions of software
> are:
> pdfeTeX 3.141592-1.30.4-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.5)
> kpathsea version 3.5.5
> This is the full GW distribution based on TeXLive 2005 & teTeX 3 (x86/ppc)

I use the same combination.

> A look at some of the messsages on the lucida July mailing list it looks as if
> user molyneux should execute the following in the Terminal
>
>   sudo updmap-sys --enable Map=lucida.map
>
> Is the above the correct thing to do ?

Yes, it¹s better. I think Gerben Wierda recently changed the updmap behavior
in his distribution, so if you forget the ­sys part it wouldn¹t cause so
much havoc, but I¹m nor sure; we better use sudo updmap-sys as a rule.

I have Lucida, Minion, MinionPro and New Baskerville in ~/Library/texmf and
everything works well for me.

> If I had wanted to unbundle in $TEXMFLOCAL would the following work ?
>
>   unzip -d /path/to/TEXMFLOCAL /path/to/lucida-complete.zip

Sorry here. I¹m not that techie. I did it manually.

> (2) I would like to get a table of the glyphs in each font so I could (say)
> use \symbol{number} to access characters I cannot get any other (easy) way.
> Is nfssfont.tex the right tool to use for this ? I ask since when I use this
> on
> the font ptmr8c some of the glyphs appear as black squares are there are some
> error messages.

To test fonts: in Terminal, for example

tex testfont <enter>

Name of the font to test = <here put the TeX name of the font; for example,
hlcbot8t> <enter>

Now type a test command (\help for help):) [and an asterisk appears in the
next line:]
* <type \table here><enter> [and another asterisk appears:]

* <type \bye><enter>

You¹re done. A testfont.dvi would appear in your working directory, usually
$HOME.

> (3) On my Mac (and I assume PC too) there are fonts called Lucida Grande and
> Bold
> which contain characters which seem not to be in The Comprehensive LaTeX
> Symbol
> List --- for example Erase to the Right Unicode symbol 232B --- are
> these fonts likely to be available to TeX users ?

Take a look at

http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&id=xetex

Best

Axel