[lucida] textcopyright

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Wed Feb 1 23:32:13 CET 2006

    volker> when I load lucidabr, I would expect an optimal setup for
    LucidaBright

But there is no "optimal" set up for all users and all documents.

lucidabr has been around a long, long time.  I don't think it would be a
good idea to make major changes in its default behavior, such as loading
fundamental packages such as textcomp or (even worse) fontenc.  That
will surely break plenty of existing documents.

Instead, I would suggest we either create an option to lucidabr, or a
new package name, or both.

   volker> Another warning which ought to be in lucidabr IMHO is a check
   for T1(, ..)

I think it would be better to support OT1.  There's no technical reason
not to, as far as I know.  But failing that, I agree that it would be
good to give a warning.

Meanwhile, Morten's pseudo-code:
   <else>
     <user is probably using LY1, do nothing>
   <fi>

That would seem to imply it would be more robust to do:

<else if encoding = LY1>
  <do nothing>
<else>
  <warn the user that encoding XXX is unknown, good luck ...>
<fi>

But perhaps it can be simplified to:
if ! (encoding = T1 || encoding = LY1)
  give warning
fi

At least just giving a warning will not affect any typesetting.

Thanks,