[lucida] textcopyright

Morten Høgholm morten.hoegholm at latex-project.org
Wed Feb 1 12:13:08 CET 2006

On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 10:44:44 +0100, Volker Kuhlmann
<list0570 at paradise.net.nz> wrote:

>> The ideal solution in my opinion would be to add the following code in
>> lucidabr:
>
> Not bad, though the inconsistency of whether textcomp is loaded at the
> end of lucidabr is not ideal.

True but users with the LY1 encoding don't need the textcomp package at
all.

> Doesn't textcomp define a lot of stuff which otherwise isn't defined at
> all, with the exception of a few things like \textcopyright, which is
> redefined? If so, would it be feasible to have lucidabr only redefine
> those \text... which are already defined?

textcomp defines all the names for the symbols in the TS1 encoding and
makes sure that they are taken from that by default. This includes symbols
like \textdagger which is otherwise taken from a math font. So yes it
defines new commands obviously but also corrects existing ones (20 to be
exact).

The proper \textcopyright symbol cannot be accessed without loading
ts1enc.def and then you get the whole lot anyway. Only way around that is
to define a new mini encoding with metrics and all. Probably not
feasible... ;-)

> My expectation is still that when lucidabr is loaded, I am in the same
> position as if it wasn't loaded, except that everything is in
> LucidaBright. Or is this an unreasonable expectation?

No, not unreasonable but on the other hand users might expect lucidabr to
provide an optimal setup for writing a document in LucidaBright. That
doesn't sound unreasonable to me either.
--
Morten